Powered by Blogger.

Followers

My Timeline

Saturday, July 20, 2013

I have been slowly adding pieces to Mason's room over the last year, but there was one thing in his room that was driving me absolutely insane, his dresser! I had done that thing were I needed storage in his room and I needed it now, so I bought crappy new cheap furniture. I went to target and picked up the Room Essentials Dresser in White and started to put it together. I broke a piece in an hour, then couldn't get the back on, then it sagged in the middle. It was sad and doesn't store as many clothes as I hoped. The kids also try to climb the drawers and well... the plastic bottoms popped out :(


So I went to my best friend, Craigslist. I had found a couple things I liked, but then they would be gone before I had a chance to get them. It seems the Birmingham area is full of handy/crafty people because all the good stuff is gone within hours.  So when I came upon two vintage dressers for 100 bucks, I was sure they were gone. So I nervously emailed and then, they were available! The lady was so nice and I picked them up the next week at her yard sale. Mason was incredibly excited about the purchase and posed with his new dressers.


I'm sure when I showed all my friends they thought I was insane and at points I thought I was going a little crazy. I had decided I wanted ORANGE! The brightest orange I could get with crisp white! SO I started by stripping the varnish... it looked like a whole lot of snot all over the place. 



Then I sanded what was left smooth. The varnish was dry and a little chippy so I ended going down to mostly wood so the paint would stick right. Then with a primer and a brush I got stared. If I could go back I'd use a foam roller! I started with a roller half way through and it took so little time. 

ALSO! Sand the primer drips and rough spots before adding a different color of paint! While sanding some of the orange I would sand down to white and realize it was a missed primer drip.

My helpers were out and about in the sun playing and trying to mess up my orange as much as they could.  I used Valspar Paint and Primer in Autumn Blaze. When I posted this picture on Facebook, I was sure the orange shocked everyone.

I was overly excited about the project that even while I was stuck inside while the girls napped, I thought about the dressers. The view from the upstairs, looking down on my project area.



My biggest hurdle while doing the projects is Alaya. Mason and Shila keep busy with chalk and slides, but Alaya has to be contained and that doesn't work for her.  




But after a couple days of paint coats and poly to protect it from my children, I was finished, and so happy! The knobs that came with it even worked great!
So what do you think? Amazing right? I think so!




And I promise to stop using my phone to take all my pictures, but these projects are a couple months old and it's all I had at the time. Instagram has ruined me!

Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment